Bangalore is India’s breast cancer capital – Dr. Anita Khokhar’s Blog
Bangalore now has the dubious distinction of being India’s Breast Cancer Capital. In a recently concluded population based study, the IT city has registered the highest incidence of Breast Cancer cases in the country (36.6 new cases for every one lakh population). (Source: PBCR data)
This data compiled from 11 cities across India revealed Thiruvananthapuram to have the second highest incidence of Breast Cancer at 35.1 followed by Chennai (32.6) and Nagpur (32.5).
Although the study has revealed these numbers, the actual incidence of Breast Cancer in these cities is much higher. This is due to the fact that many cases go un-reported.
The reasons for such a high incidence of breast cancer in Bangalore are quite obvious:
- Increased incidence of smoking and alcohol consumption among women
- Early menarche (age at which menstrual periods start) due to obesity and Western lifestyle habits
- Late marriages and children
- Lack of breastfeeding
- Increased use of estrogen based contraceptives
- Late menopause and the use of hormone replacement therapy following menopause
All these factors are known risk factors for breast cancer and are quite prevalent in Bangalore.
This study should serve as an eye opener for women not only in Bangalore but also other metropolitan cities of the country.